FOR REAL is an awesome new training and employment project run by SCIRT as part of the Christchurch rebuild.
We’re looking for 1000 recruits ready to train, work and earn in Christchurch’s infrastructure industry!
Having the right attitude is important. Show us you’re keen and if you are successful in your application, we will train you and pay your course fees. Then we’ll set you up with an employer and you’ll finish your training on the job.
You’ll learn real skills, gain a qualification and get fast-tracked into a real career and a future.
You up for it?
SCIRT (Stronger Christchurch Infrastructure Rebuild Team) are the people rebuilding the city’s earthquake damaged horizontal infrastructure. That’s roads, fresh water, wastewater, stormwater and some other infrastructure like bridges and retaining walls. This is called horizontal infrastructure because it runs horizontally along the ground. For Real is run by SCIRT and SCIRT’s programme of work is funded by the New Zealand Government and Christchurch City Council.
Christchurch’s roads and underground piping were badly damaged in the September 2010 and February 2011 earthquakes. Repairing them is a massive multi billion-dollar job. It’s really important — most repairs need to be done before the rebuilding above ground can begin.
- Roading: 1,021km
- Water piping: 51km
- Drains: 196km
- Sewers: 528km
- Foot bridges: 45
- Road bridges: 18
- Sewer pump stations: 100
Christchurch needs to complete the rebuild below ground quickly so the city can get back on its feet. Good workers are needed now. Christchurch needs you.
If you’re interested in getting your future sorted and you believe in a hard, honest day’s work, then we’re interested in you. Who are you?
- You could be in a job or semi-qualified, or want to retrain. You may have been looking at getting involved in Civil Infrastructure as a career but weren’t sure where to start
- You may still be at school and not sure what’s next
- Maybe you’re unemployed and would like to gain new skills
- You’ll definitely hold a driver licence’s or a restricted licence by the time you get on the job
- You’ll definitely be drug free
- You’ll love practical stuff like big machinery
If you pass the application process you’ll get:
- Full training & great skills
- Your course fees paid
- Set up with a job with an awesome employer
- On-the-job continued training
- A national qualification
- Good income and career prospects
- Gain skills you can use elsewhere
- Fast-tracked into a promising future